The American Association of University Women (AAUW) is a national organization that advances equity for women and girls through advocacy, education, philanthropy and research.
AAUW Roanoke Valley Branch funds the following scholarships for women who are:
- Currently enrolled students who will complete high school in the 2016-2017 academic year.
- 21 years or older and are high school graduates who have not previously obtained a bachelor’s degree.
- 21 years or older high school graduates and currently enrolled in an accredited college or university pursuing a career in science, technology, engineering, or mathematics (STEM) – The Myrtle and Norman Shifflett Scholarship for Women.
- Graduated from high school and currently enrolled in an accredited college or university pursuing a career in the humanities. The Dorothy Kayser Provine Scholarship for Women.
Any woman matching the eligibility of one of the scholarships listed above and who resides in the Cities of Roanoke or Salem, the Town of Vinton, or the Counties of Roanoke, Botetourt or Craig may apply for a scholarship. Applicants who may qualify for more than one of the scholarships listed above can apply for only one.
Applications are available in area high school guidance departments, college or university financial offices and online using the application link below.
Please follow the directions in the application packet carefully. The following supplemental documents must be included with the completed application.
- Essay required by the scholarship for which you are applying
- Copy of official high school or college transcripts
- Three letters of recommendation
- Latest federal income tax form filed by you and, if you are listed as their dependent, your parent(s).
All applications must be postmarked by March 10, 2017. Mail all documents required for application to:
AAUW Roanoke Valley Branch
PO Box 20636
Roanoke, VA 24018
Incomplete applications or applications postmarked past the deadline will not be considered.
Scholarship recipients will be notified of their award no later than April 2017. The funds must be used by the end of the 2017-2018 academic year. Scholarships are not renewable.
Recipients will be honored at the AAUW Roanoke Valley Scholarship Awards Meeting Saturday, May 20, 2017; participation is required.
For questions about the scholarship application process, email Melody Blankenship or call 540-344-0313